The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, November 22, 2019

March 14 - 16, 1973


Wednesday, March 14, 1973 Grandpa Boutilier

A pretty good day, quite mild. I done regular work, washed windows, cleaned up the house some. Made a pie, cooked a spare ribs supper, onions, shell beans etc. Had Fern and Lloyd up. They enjoyed it very much. They stayed till 9:30. Bill helped Betty today, got her big rock out of her yard. Also worked on her desk. In p.m. he and I went to see Jean. She still isn’t good. She has a long way to come to get back. This morning Betty got a phone call from Thelma. Grandpa Boutilier died. He is Mike’s father. Carmen and Kimberly’s grandfather. Betty and the girls may go to the funeral.



Thursday, March 15, 1973 lightning and thunder, Zak  had shot

Another dreary day. Cloudy and rainy. I done up regular work. In p.m. went to town. Called down to Betty’s. Mary Anne was there to see Zak. He had a shot and became very sick. Betty and I called at Gordon’s in evening. Jean not too good but has improved a little. Bill worked on the desk.



Friday, March 16, 1973 Zak not too good, mild.

It was a mild day, some sun, partly cloudy. I washed and clothes dried good. Very warm. Bill worked at Betty’s on the desk all day. I done regular work, down to Betty’s. Zak was sick. In late p.m. we, Bill and I down to see Jean. She is some improved. In evening I went down town with Betty. Bennie’s funeral today. Betty stained her desk. It looks very nice. Walt had some gravel come for the driveway.

No comments:

Post a Comment