The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, November 4, 2019

January 5 - 8, 1973


Friday, January 5, 1973 A Beautiful day, Sunny and warm

A beautiful day. I done a lot of extra work. I washed, it was mild and the clothes dried good. I washed living room windows, washed living room rug, dusted etc. In p.m. I went down to Betty’s. She took me to town. Esther and Cliff called in evening. Bill down to Jean’s and cleaned her roof and down to Walt and cleaned some snow off the back porch roof. Too much snow, roofs are all in bad shape, ice and deep snow.



Saturday, January 6, 1973

It dawned clear and sunny today, but very windy and cold. I washed, did a dite of cooking, regular work. A happy surprise. Dorothea and David came about 10. Dorothea was pleased to be here. Betty and Zak came up, we looked over the snapshots and put dates on them. Betty brought hers all up. Esther here in p.m. to give us a part of her memory. She helped a lot. Dorothea and David stayed for supper. The wind is blowing so hard tonight as it did all day.


Sunday, January 7, 1973

This day dawned very nice, clear and sunny, but very windy. Wind blowed so hard all day. I got up, took my bath, did up regular work. Did a little ironing. Kimmy came up here for the day. Carmen don’t feel too good. Asthma touch. She didn’t go to Sunday school. Kim and Zak did. Billie down town, up to Chet’s.



Monday, January 8, 1973 Cold, TV back

It was such a cold cold day. Betty, Zak and I went to Portland shopping. Got home early, about 2 PM. They brought the TV back. I washed in PM. A nice sunny day.

Zak



No comments:

Post a Comment