The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, November 5, 2019

January 9 - 12, 1973


Tuesday, January 9, 1973 20 below

It was 20 below this morning. I done up my regular work. Betty and Zak came up about nine. Betty went down to Dawn’s for the day. Zak stayed here. I did a dite of washing.



Wednesday, January 10, 1973 A very nice mild day

Bill fixed the electric stove. Dorothea came about 10:30, we got ready and went down to Betty’s. She, Shawn and I. Fern was there and Esther. We looked over the snapshots and had a very good time. The plug (main) had burned out on the electric stove. Had to get a new one. I did my ironing. Dorothea brought the car up to Rudy’s to be fixed. Kimmy had Gwen up to visit her after school.



Thursday, January 11, 1973 10 below this morning when we got up


Nice when we got up this morning but it was 10 below. Betty, Zak and I went to Norway. In p.m. went to town. Kimberly visited with Gwen after school. Dorothea and Jeff here later this evening. She brought Bill’s car back and got hers at the garage. Betty called in evening.



Friday, January 12, 1973 it was a couple degrees below zero when I got up

We are having some nice sunny days or have this past week, but on the very cold side. Sunny today. I done my regular work. I washed and ironed down to Betty’s. Bill took me to town in p.m. He fixed the faucet in the kitchen. He was down to the barn where they were working.


No comments:

Post a Comment