The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, November 8, 2019

January 21 - 23, 1973


Sunday, January 21, 1973

A nice sunny day. I got up, took my bath. Got the breakfast done up, the work, made up beds, change them and did my washing. Bill out riding. Billie went down to Lawrence to get the pork he bought. I got my clothes out early and they dried very good. In p.m. Fern, Lloyd called also Betty’s family. Fern helped wrap up the pork. Betty, Walt and kids down town bowling. Kids had a good time. Kids went to Sunday school in a.m. Billie went with Lawrence all day picking up cattle. Betty gave the kids are ride on Lucky the pony.



Monday, January 22, 1973 Kim came home from school in a.m. sick, LBJ died this p.m., Salted pork

Partly cloudy. I got my work done up early. I went down to Betty’s to go with her to Portland. I hadn’t been there but a short time and Kimberly call from school. She was sick. So I told Betty I would stay home and take care of Kim. I did. She didn’t feel at all good. She slept all morning. I washed Betty’s dining room, kitchen and utility room floors. I did her washing and ironing. Betty got home about 2:30. Esther went with her. I came home, got supper. After supper Billie and I salted the pork down. Gordon and Sally left today to go down to Vickie and Barry’s in Virginia. Also to visit with Sal’s sister.



Tuesday, January 23, 1973

I done up my regular work early, went down to Betty’s to stay while she took Susan to Portland to have some teeth out. They had to operate to get them out. It was very painful. She felt awful. Esther went too. They got home about 2:30. In evening Billie and I called at Ferns and later Betty, Zak and I called. Fern fell today on the ice over to June’s. No broken bones or anything.




No comments:

Post a Comment