The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

May 7 - 10, 1970


Thursday, May 7, 1970

Partly cloudy and very cold. We got Aunt Ava home from hospital. She was glad to get home. Dolores stayed with her most of the day. Also Kennard and me in evening. Fern finished her housecleaning. I got Billie’s bedroom done. I washed his bed spread etc. Bill has got a bad cold.



Friday, May 8, 1970

Cloudy in a.m. It got all sunny and warmer in p.m. I cleaned my bedroom, bathroom, hall. Did the big odds and ends. Washed, also curtains etc. I got the ironing done. Betty got her bathroom, a small bedroom done and little hall. Hilda came to stay with Aunt Ava. She had a hard day, a cold and headache. Billie down to Betty’s for spaghetti supper. Bill and I to town after supper. Betty, kids and I called at Fern’s and Aunt Ava’s.



Saturday, May 9, 1970 Bill has a cold, nice day

Bill home this coming week on vacation. Billie worked for Lawrence. I worked doing odd and end jobs. Bill down to Lloyd and painted his freezer. Went to bed most of the day sick with a bad cold. Kids came up. Bill worked on the mailbox.



Sunday, May 10, 1970

Another beautiful day. I sat out some flowers. Billie worked on the wall, trimming it up, raked it and it looks good. I picked some greens for supper and Betty’s. The Horton’s walked over to Aunt Ava’s. Fern, Lloyd called in PM. Greens were so good. I had a nice Mother’s Day. Thomas family called.

No comments:

Post a Comment