The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, February 14, 2019

April 13 - 16, 1970


Monday, April 13, 1970

A very mild day. Snow went a lot today. I rushed around, got ready and went over to Aunt Ava’s early to start her housecleaning. I cleaned her spare bedroom and living room. Came home, did my washing, got supper. It is cloudy but  the snow went a lot in the field today. Betty raked some of their lawn. Apollo 13 crew had an explosion in their spaceship last night, they are coming back.



Tuesday, April 14, 1970 Beautiful day

Up early and over to Aunt Ava’s. I rodeover with Walt. Aunt Ava went to Portland to the clinic. Snow went a lot. I cleaned the sheds and bathroom. A lot of concern over the Apollo 13 guys. Sure hope they get back home safe and sound.



Wednesday, April 15, 1970

A beautiful day. I finished cleaning over to Aunt Ava’s. I did the kitchen and bedroom, such a mess of dog hairs. Came home, cleaned up, got supper. Called at Betty’s a little while. I worked until three. I rode over with Walt again. Snow went a lot.



Tuesday, April 16, 1970

A beautiful day. Snow went a lot today. I washed, cleaned up the house. Washed windows. I did a dite of cooking. Down to Betty’s a little while. She cleaned the top of the barn. I’m so glad Aunt Ava’s house is all done.

No comments:

Post a Comment