The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, February 1, 2019

February 21 - 24, 1970


Saturday, February 21, 1970

A nice mild day. I did regular work, made bread and rolls. Billie went smelting with Alice and Lawrence. Got a mess. Bill and I took Susan, Vince, Carmen and Kim down to Mrs. Lord’s to get her Brownie uniform. Mrs. Lord wasn’t at home. Sue came up to get rolls. Betty don’t feel good.

Carmen in her new Brownie uniform

Pesty little sister


Sunday, February 22, 1970

A pretty fair day. Bill and I took Carmen down to get her Brownie uniform. Billie gone with Lawrence to pick up cattle. In late p.m. Susan, Carmen and I went to the new Lake Region High School opened house. Betty didn’t feel good. Sue and Vince here for supper. Fern, Lloyd called. Betty sick. Tom called Sue. Kim here most of the day.



Monday, February 23, 1970

Windy, cold. Fair and sunny. I done regular work. Washed, ironed. Carmen up here for supper. Kim and Zak stayed here while Betty went to Portland to meet Walt for lunch.

 



Tuesday, February 24, 1970

I did rest of my washing. Down to Betty’s for a little while. Susan down to Fern’s for dinner then came up here for supper. Vince get tired and kind of fussy.





No comments:

Post a Comment