The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, February 16, 2019

April 21 - 25, 1970 Aunt Ava Hospitalized


Tuesday, April 21, 1970

A rainy day. I went down to Betty this morning. Came home, watched TV and prepared supper. Aunt Ava real bad today. Fern, Kennard and I over to Aunt Ava’s after supper to get her to go to the hospital. She said she would go. Betty called on her in a.m. and at Ferns. In evening she came over and got Fern and me.



Wednesday, April 22, 1970 Aunt Ava to Hospital

Cloudy dreary day, cold too. We took Aunt Ava to NCM hospital. She has been quite bad. Carmen and Kim came up. Billie home sick. In p.m. he felt better and outside working. Hilda called today. Called Dorothea about Aunt Ava. Joy called at Dorothea’s, she is in a nervous condition. Problems.



Thursday, April 23, 1970

A cloudy day most all day. Some sun. Betty took me to Lewiston to get my corselets at Sears. They don’t have them anymore. We drove out to Benny’s place so he could see Carmen and Kimberly. He was pleased. He is better of his heart attack. Carmen came up here to stay all night. She was pleased to be up here. Dorothea called Betty after talking to Joy last night.



Friday, April 24, 1970 Rain

It rained very hard all day. Carmen went home today. She stayed here last night. I washed, clothes dried in the house. Betty got paper, paint etc. for Zak’s room. Fern up here for supper. Had good halibut steaks. I went over to Aunt Ava’s with Betty to help feed cat and dog. I called Dr. Richards about Aunt Ava. Not too good.

No comments:

Post a Comment