The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, February 7, 2019

March 17 - 20, 1970 Susan and Vince Went Home


Tuesday, March 17, 1970 Susan and Vince went home

A beautiful day. I got up, rushed around, got my work done. Down to Betty’s. We got ready and left about 10 AM for the airport. We picked Fern up, also stopped at Dorothea’s. She and Lee went to the airport to see Sue and Vince off. Her life is so sad and no security feeling. She hated to go so bad. Tom not glad to see her. Carmen here for supper. Didn’t feel very good. Betty is tired out. TV good tonight.



Wednesday, March 18, 1970 Carmen has Chicken Pox

Partly cloudy. I washed and waxed kitchen floor. Thinking of Susan. Carmen broke out with chickenpox. I was down there while Betty done up her housework. She relaxed as much as she could. It was such a relief to be alone with just her kids.



Thursday, March 19, 1970

Betty, Kim and I went to Dorothea’s, from there we went to Zayre’s. Betty did some shopping for her and the kids. Came home, got supper. She liked her new clothes very much. She got Zak’s pictures. Fern stayed with Zak and Carmen.



Friday, March 20, 1970

A nice day. I did up my work, kids up for a little while. Walt home early. Betty cleaned her house all up today. Bill took me to town tonight. Came home, watched TV. Billie has a bad ear, it pains him.



No comments:

Post a Comment