The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, February 27, 2019

June 3 - 6, 1970


Wednesday, June 3, 1970

Hot in a.m. and sunny. In late p.m. it got cloudy and cooler. I did regular work, washed, ironed. Did some desk work. Went down to Betty’s, she and Kim came up and got lawnmower. Her lawns look so nice. Fern, Lloyd called in a.m. Bill got a insurance policy. It is a policy to cover cancer cases.



Thursday, June 4, 1970

A nice day. Betty, kids and I went to Norway to get Carmen some things to go on a camping trip with the Brownies. The car still acting up. Betty and I called at Aunt Ava and Fern’s in eve.



Friday, June 5, 1970 Carmen camping out with Brownies

Cloudy and cooler. I done up my work, did a dite of washing. To town with Betty. Finished my grocery shopping. Kim up here today. Carmen on a overnight outing with her BROWNIE group at Kennebunk.



Saturday, June 6, 1970

Rain and cloudy. Billie and I took off and got some trees and shrubbery. Went to O’Donnell’s at Scarborough and Conway, New Hampshire. Came home. Bill and Billie set them out. I babysat for Hortons. Betty and Walt out to buy a bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment