The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, February 4, 2019

March 5 - 8, 1970 Brownie Investiture


Thursday, March 5, 1970

Cloudy. It snowed during last night just a little. I went down to Betty’s. She and Sue to town. I stayed with kids.



Friday, March 6, 1970

I did regular work. Down to Betty’s. Dorothea came up, we talked with Susan about her problems. Susan and Vince came up here for supper. She and I went to town after supper.



Saturday, March 7, 1970 A partial eclipse

A very nice mild day. I done regular work. Had Aunt Ava over. Betty, Walt and family called. Susan and Vince also called. There was a partial eclipse of the sun here today. In some places it was total.
(Nanny saved everything)




Sunday, March 8, 1970

Cold, snowy and blustery day. It cleared about noon. Susan, Billie and I went over to Brownfield. Got a lot of Italian sandwiches. In p.m. we went to the ME Church for the Brownie investure. We was very proud of our sweet Carmen Christie Boutilier Horton. She is a Brownie.


Brownie Program


No comments:

Post a Comment