The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

April 10 - 12, 1970 Kim's 4th Birthday


Friday, April 10, 1970

A cool and partly cloudy day. Walt didn’t work. Betty, Kim and I to Norway to do Kim’s birthday shopping. Came home, got supper, sorted out Kim’s gifts, groceries etc. Kim came up with me and stayed all night. I went to town in evening. I mailed a letter to Es today, also sent to guarantee card for TV.



Saturday, April 11, 1970

A beautiful day, on the cool and windy side. Kim had breakfast and played a little while and went home when Carmen came. Bill worked on Betty’s birdhouse, in p.m. worked for the town. Billie down country with Lawrence picking up cattle. I went to town in p.m., called at Betty’s.



Sunday, April 12, 1970 KIM  4 years

Today we all, Bill, Billie, Dorothea, Dave, Jeffrey, Fern, Lloyd, Aunt Ava and me all went to the Horton’s. We all helped KIM to celebrate her fourth birthday. She got a lot of nice gifts, toys etc. We had Betty’s homemade Italian sandwiches, cake, ice cream and coffee. Snow went a lot today.

Jeff, Bill, Fern and I
Zak and Aunt Dorothea

David, Billie and Fern with me



No comments:

Post a Comment