The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, February 22, 2019

May 15 - 18, 1970


Friday, May 15, 1970 Carmen to a cookout at Woods Pond with Brownies

A very nice day. Bill, Betty, Kim, Zak and I went to Dorothea’s and Betty took Bill and Kim into Portland. Kim to the clinic. She is getting worse, her heart condition. It is enlarging and the heart and the breast is enlarging. In August she goes for a cardiac catheterization. This falls she goes for the open heart surgery. Dorothea was glad we came. She had some lumber come for her work to be done on her living room, kitchen, hall, and a door for Jeff’s room. In evening we called at Aunt Ava’s. Fern, Betty and I. She hasn’t been very good today. Billie trimmed Walt’s lawns tonight. Billie brought home halibut steak. We had it broiled for supper, good. Sal up with Gordon in eve.



Saturday, May 16, 1970 Septic Tank, TWO LAMBS

Cloudy and on the cold side. I done regular work, cleaned house all up. Made rolls, baked beans. Down to Betty and Walt’s to set while they went to see Holly’s new home. Gordon came up and they dug up our septic tank. It plugged up and we had a awful backup of water. Lloyd called. Billie worked for Lawrence. Dolores and Kennard had their two sons home this weekend. Billie got a couple of lambs for the kids, Carmen, Kim and Zak.



Monday, May 18, 1970 RAIN

A rainy miserable day. I didn’t do much. Betty, kids and I over to Norway to shop. I didn’t do much. Got a letter from Susan. She don’t sound too happy. I didn’t go over to Aunt Ava’s today. Fern up here for the evening. Betty up after her. Bill and I down town. Then over to Hio Ridge to see a guys lawnmower.

No comments:

Post a Comment