The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

May 30 - June 2, 1970


Saturday, May 30, 1970 Planted Garden

A nice day, still cold and windy. Not too bad. Betty over to her sisters today at East Fryeburg. Milan fishing. Bill, Billie planted the garden. Carmen here, she helped. They sat out tomato plants. Billie seeded the septic tank dirt down. Also he sat out some more lilac trees. Billie, Carmen and I down in pasture. Bill harrowed Walt’s garden, they planted. Betty, Walt came about 2 PM. Hortons, Milan, Betty, Fern here for supper. Had a baked beans supper.



Sunday, May 31, 1970

Warmer today, quite hot. Milan’s folks left at about 7 AM. I done up the work. Bill, Billie and I down to Dorothea and Dave’s to see their house. It looks so nice. Dorothea was glad we came. Came home on up through Gorham, Standish, Hiram and out to Brownfield. Got Italian sandwiches. Aunt Ava called in PM. Betty, Walt and Zak. Fern, Lloyd later. Bill and Billie relaxed all day.



Monday, June 1, 1970 Hot and Humid

Cloudy and very hot in a.m. Cleared in p.m., very hot and sunny. I called at Betty’s. Kim came up. Billie down to Lawrence’s and up to Chet’s. I did some figuring in a.m. After I came home from Betty’s I did some washing. Billie cooked steaks out on the grill. Had a good supper.



Tuesday, June 2, 1970 HOT 90 to 100° temp, Root Beer

A very hot humid day. I washed, did regular work. Betty, Kim and Zak came up, we made root beer. First batch this year. I went down to Betty’s in p.m., we set out her phloxs and I helped her clean up a mess of pine spills. We sat on breezeway, so many bugs outside. Billie back to work after a weeks vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment