The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, July 31, 2017

May 8 - 11, 1964



Friday, May 8, 1964

Churned for first time since last fall. Churned 2 1/4 pounds of butter. Began saving cream (?) Once a day milking. I went over the house today. In p.m. I got the Dahlia set out in front of the house. Betty fixed a fence to keep the dog out. Also Betty painted rose trellises and lounge chair frame. I went to town tonight.



Saturday, May 9, 1964

Rain at last. After two weeks without rain and several forest fires we’ve had a nice rain. Cooked, Betty and I to town and up on the Ridge to see the little house which I hope will be their home. Betty to movies. Billie bought the garden seed today. Carmen to town with Billie. Fern up for supper and evening. A bad tornado in Michigan near Dorothea and the Adair’s yesterday.



Sunday, May 10, 1964

It was sunny when we got up this morning. WORKED ALL DAY. It clouded up during the day at times with rain showers, but mostly sunny all day. On the cool side though. Cut up forward quarter of beef. Picked rocks, hauled out all the dressing and harrowed the garden. Ground and wrapped beef. Kennie, Dot, Fern, Lloyd, Aunt Ava, Blanche here. Talk to Jeff and Dorothea, got watch, cake and money for permanent.



Monday, May 11, 1964

Cooler. I washed, not as big a wash today. On the cold side. They began on the timber again today. In evening I did my ironing. Bill wrote to George and Betty saying we were coming to visit them. Kay and husband called.


No comments:

Post a Comment