The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

March 21 - 24, 1964




Billie Deming and Carmen

Carmen, Billie and Betty

Friend Dana, Billie and Betty

Betty, Jeff and Carmen heading out for Michigan


Saturday, March 21, 1964



A partially good day. I cooked some, washed kitchen floor. To town. Colored my hair. Dorothea and family going to go to Esther’s and get Betty and Carmen today. Hope it is good weather out there. Betty and Dorothea called last night. Betty is having a good time and sounds good for once.







Sunday, March 22, 1964 Billie’s Birthday



Cloudy in a.m. Rayburn, Aunt Ava, Brud, Nona and Jeff called in a.m. In p.m. Kennie, Dot, Fern and Lloyd in evening, we had birthday cake and ice cream. Mama not very good.







Monday, March 23, 1964



We washed. A very nice mild day. Clothes dried good. Very quiet here today. I got the clothes in and ironed in evening. Mama quite bad today. Grace Richardson died. I helped to care for her since last fall. Blanche worked there also.







Tuesday, March 24, 1964 Began Housecleaning


Today I began my spring housecleaning. I got Betty’s bureau draws done. I cooked some pies. Fern, Lloyd called and Aunt Ava. In p.m. Miss (?), the district nurse called to see Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment