The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

April 14 - 17, 1964



Tuesday, April 14, 1964

Rained hard all day. Done up regular work, made some brownies. Betty and I cleaned and rearranged dark bedroom. Pack Mama’s clothes in boxes. It doesn’t seem possible she has gone. I miss her more and more. Betty and I took Carmen to Dr. Richards, her eyes are swollen. Infection he said. We called at Ferns. Kennard called today. Cow seems better. Phil had 2 quarts milk.




Wednesday, April 15, 1964

It was cloudy and dreary. I cleaned Bills room. Cow is gaining in milk.



Thursday, April 16, 1964

A very nice day. I cleaned my room. Fern up for supper and evening.



Friday, April 17, 1964

A very nice day. I finished cleaning the upstairs. Betty away tonight.



No comments:

Post a Comment