The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, July 2, 2017

January 13 - 16, 1964



Monday, January 13, 1964

Cloudy, or clouded up during day. I did a big wash. Rushed off to work. Snow began about four. Real bad storm. Bill was called out about 8:30. Billie came after me with Dan. Betty home all evening. Phil Hurst began taking milk again.



Tuesday, January 14, 1964 10 above

A lot of snow, very cold and windy. Bill worked all night, home about 7 AM for breakfast and got his dinner. I didn’t have much to do today, just some of the regular work. Dawn called up, asked me if I would like her hens. Blanche here today.



Wednesday, January 15, 1964

A beautiful day. Did regular work. George brought up 18 hens to us. They are going away. Dolores and Blanche called.



Thursday, January 16, 1964

A nice clear day, not very cold. I done regular work. Betty’s new book came, “Four Days.” To work at three. Dot, Ed and Mil came up to Grace. Grace is better. Dot stayed up.


No comments:

Post a Comment