The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, July 4, 2017

January 21 - 24, 1964



Tuesday, January 21, 1964

Rained most all day, cleared late p.m. I finally got Dorothea’s letter off. I worked all day as usual. Betty worked again at ironing. Mama sick to her stomach. Grace better. Jim just called Bill to work. Fern and Lloyd called.



Wednesday, January 22, 1964

I was up early and got ready to go to work at Graces at 7 o’clock. Pegs went away so I worked for her. I also worked my shift which takes me to 10 PM. Mama not very good.



Thursday, January 23, 1964

Another nice beautiful warm day. I didn’t have to work. I had a chicken dinner, to town. Made a pie. Carmen bumped her head today. She cried awfully. Fern up for supper and evening. One year ago today Mike came home. Dorothea just called. Good to talk with her.



Friday, January 24, 1964

35 to 40° temperatures. A nice warm mild day, snow went a lot today. Blanche called. I cleaned up all the house today. Back to work today. Dr. Bish came to see Mama. She isn’t at all good. He is going to have her go into the hospital for observation. $49. $3 milk.



No comments:

Post a Comment