The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, July 7, 2017

February 2 - 5, 1964 Carmen turns ONE!



Sunday, February 2, 1964 Mama to MMC Hospital

A nice day, very cold and windy. Got ready and took Mama to the Maine Medical Center in Portland. She got quite tired riding down there. Fern, Lloyd here, Kennie, Dot, Rayburn, Joan and Bob. Bill worked. Betty did not go to town. Mama hated so much to stay down there. I pity her so, she is so sick. Mama looked nice when she went.



Monday, February 3, 1964

A very windy day. The wind blowed so hard. Blanche came over here. She cleaned Mama’s room. I did her washing. Betty up to Sweden to see the newlyweds. Bonnie went with her. Carmen got all nerved up today. Blanche and Betty to Portland to see Mama. She is in serious condition.



Tuesday, February 4, 1964

I washed today. Called Es and Dorothea. Fern and Lloyd called. No word from Mama. Went to work at 1:30. Tonight Betty called Milan’s folks.



Wednesday, February 5, 1964

Mild day. Carmen One Year Old. Today Carmen is one year old, she walked most all day. Blanche and I to Portland to see Mama. She is very bad. I pity her so. I went to work at 5:30. Bought me a coat. A blue.




What are you doing to the poor dog!?!


Ooh - Cake!!!(Is that an Uncle finger going into the frosting?)

No comments:

Post a Comment