The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, December 24, 2015

September 7 - 10, 1957



Saturday, September 7, 1957

A fair day. I cleaned up the house. Bill lame, back over to the doctors. No broken ribs. Kay here today. Helen called for her. Donnie very good. Billie and Chet finished the haying. Finished cutting up the meat. Over to Raymonds and ground hamburger. Rained in evening.



Sunday, September 8, 1957

Cloudy and quite a lot of rain today. Got dinner. Aunt Ava and Uncle Lewis, Kennie and Dot called today. Billie helped Lloyd down to the cottage. Mrs. Dearborn called, paid me $25. I wrote letters. Billie hitched up the calf, cleaned out the pig. Bill about the same.



Monday, September 9, 1957

I washed, a very nice day. I washed. In p.m. Bill and I went down to post office. I got Dorothea’s suitcase off to her. Delores called and Kennie called. Fern and Lloyd up in evening to get some water. There well when dry.



Tuesday, September 10, 1957

A fair day. Not so warm is yesterday. I churned, ironed, cooked, cleaned the electric stove oven. Dawn and Steve called in evening. Kay came up in evening for a little while. My check came today from Mr. Ayers. Donnie fussing today. Bill to doctor today.

No comments:

Post a Comment