The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, December 3, 2015

June 17 - 21, 1957



Monday, June 17, 1957

I washed. Betty gone most of day. Hot.



Tuesday, June 18, 1957

A nice hot day. I ironed, cleaned up the house, cooked a cake. We picked 6 quarts berries today, sold to Mrs. Parks. My check came today. Two dollars. Paid bills by the dozen. Telephone man came and changed phone for a better one. Very pretty yellow one.



Wednesday, June 19, 1957

I nice day, not so hot. I worked over to Aunt Linnie is in a.m. In PM I washed sweaters and there was a bad thunder shower. Betty down swimming. Bill and I picked 7 quarts berries. Sold none.



Thursday, June 20, 1957

A nice day. Cool yet clear and warm. I didn’t do much. Cleaned up the house, picked 9 quarts berries. Insurance man came from Harrison. Dolores quite sick.



Friday, June 21, 1957

Picked 7 quarts berries. I went down to Dearborn’s today and cleaned up today. In evening Bill, Stevie, Betty, Donnie and I went to town. Billie mowed all the HAY  today. Took 7 quarts berries down to Ferns, she sold them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment