The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

September 24 -27, 1957



Tuesday, September 24, 1957

A very pretty day. I cooked, ironed, done up the housework. Mama over to Aunt Ava’s for the day. Donnie is sick again. Kay up here after school.



Wednesday, September 25, 1957

A nice day. I went to Evie Virgin’s funeral in Portland at S. S. Rick and Son Funeral Home on Mellon Street. Went with Fern, Lloyd and Uncle Os. Betty had a good tasty supper ready when I got home. Dolores up here all day to stay with Mama and Donnie. He is not very good.



Thursday, September 26, 1957

Cloudy, windy and awful cold tonight. I cooked some, cleaned up the house. Donnie sick.



Friday, September 27, 1957 COLD, Dorothea and Dennis back to work

A very clear pretty day but cold. Mr. Sanborn brought the apples. Barbara called and talked this morning. I didn’t do much. Went to town in p.m. Donnie sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment