The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, December 10, 2015

July 16 -20, 1957



Tuesday, July 16, 1957

Kind of cold today. I ironed. Did quite a few odd jobs. Donnie and I here alone all day. Betty up to Parks. Mama up to Aunt Ava’s. In evening Bill pulled weeds. I took care of Donnie, he was up today but not too good yet. Billie bought a cow tonight of Elmer Fogg. Milan called tonight.



Wednesday, July 17, 1957 Letter from Dorothea

A very nice hay day. Today we got a letter from DOROTHEA, first one for over a period of several weeks. Betty came home from Dawn Parks this morning. She and I mowed and trimmed lawns and hoed the gardens. I churned in a.m. Kids here in evening and played ball. Our furnace oil tank sprung a leak tonight, we lost a lot of oil. Billie got a new Guernsey cow tonight of Elmer Fogg.



Thursday, July 18, 1957

A very nice day but warmer. I didn’t do much today. Took a walk down into the pasture during the day. Barbara Autio called this p.m., made a long visit. Bill downtown after supper to see Lin Hill about oil tank. We are talking of putting in a new heating system, steam heat.



Friday, July 19, 1957

A nice day. I worked at Mrs. Dearborn’s this a.m. In p.m. I done only little work at home. Barbara called in p.m. Betty swimming. To town in late p.m.



Saturday, July 20, 1957 Hot

A nice day. I did up the work. Edith McAllister called in p.m. Betty down to Kay’s today. Kay up here tonight she and Betty slept outdoor, and Lassie too.





No comments:

Post a Comment