The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

July 11 - 15, 1957



Thursday, July 11, 1957 Got a (?) From Dorothea

A fair day, some cloudy in p.m. In a.m. Betty, Dawn, Stevie and I went up to Sweden after blueberries, didn’t get any. Kids got lost. We thought. Aunt Ava called. Dot, Lorraine and Karen and Wanda called. Today we got a newspaper from Dorothea.



Friday, July 12, 1957

Package for Bill and Betty came from Dorothea. I cleaned down to the cottage today. Came home and done some dusting and cleaning also cooked. Kay called today. Dawn Parks here in late p.m. I went to town in p.m. A nice day, kind of cool in a.m. Donnie sick again today.



Saturday, July 13, 1957

I got Dorothea’s birthday gift off to her today. Much warmer. I cleaned up the house. Bags came today from my sweeper. Mama got a large picture of William Lloyd Deming for her birthday. Very good. Mrs. Dearborn came up and paid me $25. Got Bill some clothes tonight. Doris Lambert died today. Donnie still sick.





Sunday, July 14, 1957

Hot day. Showers in late p.m. Bill and Billie got the hay taken care of down to Lloyd’s that spoiled. In p.m. Billie mowed up to Chet’s. Betty and Stevie went swimming down to the lake. Donnie still sick. I wrote letters in p.m.



Monday, July 15, 1957

A very good hay day. Cool. Sunny, warm and a drying wind. I did a big wash. Made a cake. Mama 77 today. Had birthday cake and ice cream and family up to see her and help her celebrate. Donnie seemed a little better today. Mama got a lot of nice gifts, very pretty cards also money. All enjoyed the evening very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment