The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, December 12, 2015

July 26 - 29, 1957



Friday, July 26, 1957

A nice day. I worked at Dearborn’s in early a.m. I came home and did a big wash. Donnie also bad all day. Bill, Kennard and I went to town in late p.m. Donnie fussed and up and down all last night.



Saturday, July 27, 1957

A nice day, not too hot. I cleaned up the house, baked beans and some rolls. Went down town and got Donnie some medicine after supper. Betty and Stevie did the dishes. Donnie sick all day.





Sunday, July 28, 1957

Showery day, heavy rain all day by showers. Billie and Betty did some fencing. Bill worked in strawberry bed. Fern had a new rug put into her living room today. She has had a house full of roomers this weekend. Wayne C. and Horace Flint Junior called in p.m., also Brud and Verna and children. Bill and I called at Ferns in p.m. Donnie still sick.



Monday, July 29, 1957 Dorothea’s birthday

A cloudy rainy day. I got letters off. Wrote to Child Welfare department. Betty up to Dawn’s in a.m. She and Steve around here in p.m. Donnie still sick. I called Dr. Skillin but he couldn’t come. Dorothea’s 20 today.

No comments:

Post a Comment