The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, December 19, 2015

August 19 - 21, 1957 The Desk Came!!



Monday, August 19, 1957 DESK CAME

I washed clothes, dried good. I went to town with Dawn Parks. In p.m. my used to came. I love it. It is beautiful. Fern, Lloyd and Uncle Os came up tonight to see the desk. Also Jerry Beverly and Teddy Bishop called. Bill began on the roofing on the tie up.



Tuesday, August 20, 1957

A nice hot day. Very dry. I ironed. Betty down to Dawn’s all day. Holly here at supper time, she and Betty up to Dawn’s for evening. The Durham heifer went to the butcher shop today. Aunt Ava and Uncle Lewis here to see new desk. Bill worked tonight.


Althea Smith Crook, Lewis Keen and sisters - Allie McKeen Smith and Ava McKeen Keen


 Wednesday, August 21, 1957

A very nice day, I did a little cooking. Betty up to Dawn’s. Bill got rest of the steel roofing on the tie up tonight. Got to finish nailing it.



No comments:

Post a Comment