The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, December 13, 2015

July 30 - August 3, 1957 Dorothea to get MARRIED



Tuesday, July 30, 1957

It was a nice day. I washed. Betty painted back porch floor. She and Dawn went downtown. Dawn called. Hot today.



Wednesday, July 31, 1957

Been busy all a.m. In p.m. Fern, Lloyd, Floss and I went up to Yager neighborhood blueberrying. I got about 12 quarts nice berries. Raymond over in evening. Betty and Stevie down to ballgame, didn’t get home til late. Billie did some fencing. Donnie about the same. Hot today.

Billie and the Biddies
 


Thursday, August 1, 1957

Cooked, picked over the blueberries. Did the ironing. Donnie still sick. Betty and Stevie weeded the strawberry bed. I been busy today.



Friday, August 2, 1957

A very nice day, quite hot. I worked at Mrs. Dearborn’s in p.m. I did up my housework and swept and dusted, went to town after Bill got home. Betty and Stevie pulled more weeds.



Saturday, August 3, 1957

A very hot day. I cooked, cleaned up the house. Betty and Steve pulled more weeds. Billie took Judy up to Chet’s to a Holstein bull. Henry Peterson called in evening. Got a letter from Dorothea today. She is making plans now to marry Dennis Harvey Adair. She is so excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment