The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, June 1, 2024

November 9 - 12, 1989

Thursday, November 9, 1989

 

It rained awful hard all day. I did my washing. Made a chocolate pudding, got a roast of pork ready for supper. Carmen and Kim went to Portland to do shopping, some Christmas and they met a friend and entertained her to lunch for her birthday. Betty had Brogan. She, Betty, got Betty Smith and me to take us down to see the apartment after she got it all done. It is beautiful. I am so pleased she has it  all done. She worked hard on it. Dorothea and Betty Smith helped her do the papering. Betty helped to settle it. Then we went up to see Zack’s place, it looks very nice. Also I hope he turns over a new leaf and makes good for himself and everyone.

 

 

 

Friday, November 10, 1989

 

A beautiful day. I got all my papers read and caught up. I done my regular work. Carmen and Brogan came. She did the cleaning. Kim came, also Zak and Betty. They had lunch, roast pork sandwiches. Zak and Walt did some work up to the house. Zack had an appointment with a guy downtown. Dorothea called tonight for a visit then she went down to Betty’s Friday night get together.

 

 

 

Saturday, November 11, 1989

 

Zack on National Guard duty today, a parade today. We didn’t go. David came for coffee. I made a squash pie and a few tarts, baked red kidney beans. David came for coffee. I washed floors. Carmen, Kim over to Norway and around. They picked Brogan up and Zak when they came home. Carmen and Kim called when they got home. Zack up a little while and had supper. Walt and Betty out for afternoon and for supper.

 

 

 

Sunday, November 12, 1989

 

Cloudy and some sun all day. I didn’t do a thing except the regular work. Got lunch. Betty got us some Italian sandwiches for supper. Walt didn’t come up for coffee. Sick. It has been a long day. I did some reading.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment