The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, June 21, 2024

January 16 - 18, 1990 George Left

 

Tuesday, January 16, 1990

 

A nice sunny day. I been busy. I made a chiffon cake and some bread for supper. Carmen came and did the shopping. George went with her. I cooked a roast pork supper. The Hortons, Walt, Betty, Carmen, Kim, Zack and Brogan, also Betty Smith and George, Billie and I. They liked it very much. Carmen did most of it. I wish I didn’t throw so much on her shoulders. After supper Tom came. Kim got him supper. Then Dorothea came, Jack and Sylvia came, we showed slides of our trip to Scotland. Bill and I. Then of Carmen and Bill’s. We had snacks. Then Betty and Walt got back. We watched some more slides that Dennis had, he gave to Jeff. All very good. Betty S, Betty H and Kim also Dorothea helped with the work. A very nice time. I enjoyed it so much. Carmen and George grocery shopping.

 

 

 

Wednesday, January 17, 1990 cloudy, rainy and fog

 

I done regular work, didn’t do much today. George down home to do some packing. We watched programs. Had lunch. Got ready and went out to supper over to Shoreland’s in Harrison. Walt and Betty did it. George, Betty Smith, Carmen, Brogan, Dorothea, Joy, Betty H and me. Had a very good supper. After we got home we had a visit at my house, everyone that was out to supper and Billie.

 







 

 

Thursday, January 18, 1990 GEORGE LEFT

 

At about 1 PM George said his goodbyes to us and left for Portland airport on his first lapse of his journey home. He will arrive home tomorrow at about (blank) to his home our time and it was (blank) his time. I didn’t do much today. Zack, Kim, Carmen, Brogan, Betty and Walt and Dorothea was here waiting to see him off. Betty and Dorothea took him to the airport. Carmen and Kim met them at the airport, also Jeff. They saw him off. It was relaxing afterwards. We was glad he came and had a good time. They took him to a lot of places. Betty Smith, Betty, Carmen and Dorothea entertained him for dinners at their homes, also took him out to eat.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment