The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, June 17, 2024

January 1 - 4, 1990

 

Monday, January 1, 1990

 

A nice day for the first day of the new year. It was slippery today because of the rain and sleet that came yesterday and last night. I worked on my puzzle until January 1, 1990. George out with Dorothea today to an open house at Raymond. Then he went home with her and had supper. I cooked a smoked shoulder for supper and spinach greens. Brogan and Carmen was here. Very good.

 

 

 

Tuesday, January 2, 1990

 

A very nice sunny day. It was mild. I been busy. I made a pie (mince) for supper. Carmen and Brogan came. Carmen went to town and did the shopping. George went with her. Dorothea came in PM for a visit. Zak here very early for breakfast. School began again today. Billie didn’t do much. I got the bills ready to go.

 

 

 

Wednesday, January 3, 1990 $492

 

Nice, sunny and mild day. George, Dorothea, Betty S and Carmen all went to Portland yesterday visiting the interesting places. Two Lights, Old Orchard Beach, out to Jeff’s house. They had a nice day, good weather etc. Betty C, Kim and Brogan called. I didn’t do much, watched shows. Manual Noriega gave himself up to the United States government this afternoon. He faces a big fine and jail sentence.

 

 

 

Thursday, January 4, 1990

 

It has been on the cloudy side. Some sunshine. I done regular work. Carmen, Brogan came for lunch. Kim and Tom called. They want here for lunch. In PM watched soaps, did some on puzzle today. In evening I read papers, talked on the phone. In evening Zak called. I sent out the bills today.


No comments:

Post a Comment