The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, June 10, 2024

December 11 - 13, 1989

 

Monday, December 11, 1989 BIG SURPRISE

 

Well this is a beautiful day. It got kind of cloudy in a.m. I wrote to Pat and Ervin. I did my washing. Billie to Portland today to the doctors for his hands. Nothing can be done for them. They was gone all day till 7 PM. They brought home Kentucky Fried Chicken. George went with them, he did his shopping. Zack came up and did the chores before Billie got home. He did a good job. This morning we all had big surprises. We was thunderstruck where they came from. In evening Betty S, Betty H, Carmen, Zak and I all went up to Dorothea’s and talked on Ouija and we was told it was Carmen. A BIG SURPRISE.

 

 

 

Tuesday, December 12, 1989 Oil came

 

A quite nice day. On the still cold temps. I done up my work. George here for breakfast. Zack called also. Carmen and Brogan came. Carmen done the shopping. George went with her. Brogan down to play with the Martin girls for a little while. I did my ironing. Billie out this morning to David’s. Kim called. Today Betty to the doctors. She has problems, her heart. She has got to go for a catheterization test to see what the problem is and what has to be done. It shook us up and we are worried about what will be.

 

 

 

Wednesday, December 13, 1989

 

A nice sunny day. Very cold. I didn’t do very much today. I got lunch. Carmen down to Betty’s all day helping. She and George went to New Hampshire today or p.m. shopping. Zak went with Walt this PM. Brogan here and had her nap today. I’m worried about Betty. I hope she will get straightened out. Billie too, now Betty has problems. We are having such cold weather. I hope there will be a break soon. Betty’s folks got their tree set up tonight. Brogan excited. Zak down there to and helped.

 








 







No comments:

Post a Comment