The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, June 27, 2024

February 7 - 10, 1990

 

Wednesday, February 7, 1990

 

A quite nice day, sunny, mild. David called and he fixed Billie’s truck. Zak up for breakfast and to work today. I made a apple pie and cooked a roast beef. Watched TV soaps. Betty came in PM, got her boxes. Carmen called and Brogan. They both enjoyed the supper at Betty’s very much last night. A very nice sunny mild day. I got a nice letter from George. Carmen had Ray for supper.

 

 

 

Thursday, February 8, 1990

 

A very nice spring like day, sunny and mild. Very warm. I done up regular work. Kim came and I went up to the camp with her. Very nice and warm. Watch soaps in PM. Carmen and Brogan here for Carmen’s birthday supper. Zak didn’t come today. Kim and Tom are enjoying each other’s company very much. Carmen is getting there.

 

 

 

Friday, February 9, 1990

 

Kind of cloudy. Carmen came and cleaned today. I did my washing. I watched soaps in PM. I done some odds and end jobs. Betty called. Carmen had to go to town, she got a few things for me. Brogan is smarter than chain lightning. A mostly nice day and it was temps of 45 to 55. Snow run and settled. Dorothea called this p.m. I had a Mrs. Budds chicken pie for supper, very good.

 

 

 

Saturday, February 10, 1990

 

Cloudy, rain and foggy. I got up real early. Made cupcakes, bread, got beans in to bake. David here for coffee. Carmen and Brogan over to Lewiston and Auburn. Carmen has a date. Brogan to see her father. This has been a cloudy miserable looking day. No one here except David. Zak came at suppertime and got the rolls. Snow settled a lot.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment