The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, March 10, 2023

May 10 - 13, 1985 For Sale Sign Caper!

Friday, May 10, 1985

 

It was a fair day, quite nice temperature. I did a wash, worked on my desk draws. Watched TV shows. Betty Horton finished her cleaning. All done. Bill still painting.

 

 

 

Saturday, May 11, 1985 Hot

 

A very hot day. It clouded up and rain showers at suppertime. I baked beans, washed kitchen floor, vacuumed. Betty came. She and I went down to Thurlow’s to look at carpeting, which they want me to get for Mother’s Day. Carmen and Kim and Eddie called, brought a beautiful bouquet of flowers, candy and card for Mother’s Day and card also from Zack. In evening we, Milan, Betty and I called at Dorothea’s to wish Fern a Happy Mother’s Day. Walt treated his family out tonight at PMS in Paris, Mother’s Day, Eddie’s graduation and Carmen’s new job. Bill painted.

 

 

 

Sunday, May 12, 1985

 

I had another nice Mother’s Day, got money, flowers, candy, cards and a pretty little plant, a new rug for living room coming from Betty and Walt. Money Billie and Dorothea flowers candy and cards, kids pretty plants. Cooler, cloudy, rain. I done up work, worked at desk. Ilan and us had a For Sale sign on our lawns this morning. David came, he and Billie dug a grave for Heidi. Cop got the sign from Jeff.

 

 

 

Monday, May 13, 1985 HOT HOT

 

It was cloudy when we got up but it soon cleared and was a nice sunny day but awful hot. I got up early, did my washing, got ready and went to Conway MVM shopping with Betty Horton and Betty Smith. I got living room curtains, drapes, pillows etc. We had a good time. Billie Deming is coming for a vacation.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment