The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, December 31, 2018

October 22 - 24, 1969


Wednesday, October 22, 1969

A miserable sickening day. It snowed hard all day. Got about six or 8 inches of snow. A regular nor’easter. Es called. Then she went down to Betty’s and spent the day. I made a blueberry pie and cooked a boiled dinner. Walt working in Kittery today. Es, Cliff and Fern up for supper. A bad storm. Bill had to go out to work after supper.



Thursday, October 23, 1969 SNOW

22° this morning. Didn’t get up above freezing. A very cloudy and cold windy day. What a mess. About six or 8 inches of darned snow this morning. It was awful windy and cold. I went down and stayed with Zak while Betty went to town to get boots for the kids and do her shopping. Later she had to take Carmen’s boots back and swapped them. Esther and Cliff up to Joy and Buddy’s today. They went there for supper. I washed.



Friday, October 24, 1969 got rest of pork home tonight.

A nice day. I did up my work. Esther came up and spent the day. She took me to town. Fern and Cliff came up for supper. Es made some apple crisp. It was good. After supper we wrapped the pork and packed the salt pork. Bill got $97 this week after working one night to salt and clear the roads of snow. Snow went some today. Carmen all dressed for the bad weather this morning when she went to school. I ironed.


No comments:

Post a Comment