The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, December 25, 2018

September 29 - October 2, 1969


Monday, September 29, 1969  Lake Region High School

Cleared up today. I did a good big wash. I cleaned Billie’s bedroom. It looks very good. Carmen didn’t go to school. The new Lake Region High School opened up today. I washed Billie’s curtains today and a lot of bedding.



Tuesday, September 30, 1969

I did another wash. Betty, kids and I over to Norway. Betty did grocery shopping and curtains shopping. Came home, she put up her curtains. I helped her with the baby. I did my bedroom. Carmen still home. I washed my kitchen curtains.


Wednesday, October 1, 1969

A real nice day. I did a big wash and they all dried good. I cleaned the living room. Billie helped me with the lampshades etc. I helped Betty a little while today. Bill to bed early with a bad cold. Carmen back-to-school. I washed my living room curtains.



Thursday, October 2, 1969

A cloudy day. I cleaned the most of the kitchen. Dorothea, Jeff and kids called. Kim came up here for a little while today. They went to Fryeburg Fair. I called at Ferns tonight. I did a little washing.



No comments:

Post a Comment