The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, December 23, 2018

September 21 - 24, 1969


Sunday, September 21, 1969

A beautiful day. We cleaned the deep-freeze and cleaned the cellar. It looks very good. Bill mowed lawns. He and Billie mowed and trimmed for Walt. Betty and her three children came up here and washed. Betty walked her son up in his carriage. Betty is a lot better. Had my vacuum to use today. It seems so good to have it again to use. Dawn Parks and husband called at Betty and Walt in p.m.



Monday, September 22, 1969

Foggy early but cleared. A nice mild day. Billie home with a bad cold. I did a big wash, made two batches of mincemeat. Cooked one and canned it. Called at Betty’s a little while. Billie got their meat for them. Fern, Lloyd called here and Betty’s. Mr. and Mrs. Doney called to pay Billie for the meat.



Tuesday, September 23, 1969

I ironed, went down to Betty’s. She is having awful pain. I did her work up for her and helped her to get their supper going.



Wednesday, September 24, 1969

Betty a little better, I went down and helped her again. It is very pleasant down there, they like it real well. I went to town with Lloyd and shopped for Betty. Fern and Lloyd over to Norway for dinner to celebrate her wedding anniversary. Bill and I called on the Horton’s in evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment