The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, December 22, 2018

September 17 - 20, 1969 Betty and Zack (as Nanny Spelled Zak) Come Home


Wednesday, September 17, 1969

A cloudy day. Walt to work today. I did the ironing. Cooked a roast for supper. Kennard called. Carmen to school. Kim is very tired, she didn’t feel too good today. I babysat for Walt while he went to see Betty.



Thursday, September 18, 1969 BETTY and SON came home

Zak is home!


A beautiful day. Sunny and clear. I got my work done up. Went down to Walt and Betty’s and cleaned Betty’s house up good. Walt brought Betty and baby home about 10:30. She was very glad to be home. It looks very good to her. The baby is a sweet pretty little bundle. His sisters were very pleased with him. Fern, Lloyd called. Walt did some grocery shopping. He helped Betty. Betty is very very sore and lame. Holly and family called in evening. We went down. She was so awful tired. I cooked their supper, Walt came and got it. Bill worked on vacuum cleaner. Billie picked vegetables tonight, frost warnings.



Friday, September 19, 1969 Slight Frost

Another nice day. I did up the work and ironed. Bill and a man called who is tarring the roads. Used the phone. Went to town tonight after supper. Helped Betty a little today. I sent Esther’s letter.



Saturday, September 20, 1969

A nice day, on the cooler side. We didn’t get up very early, 8 AM. Did regular work. Kids came up, Walt is sick. Betty not very good. Billie, Lloyd hauled garden plants. Kids rode with them in the truck. I helped Betty in p.m. I made rolls and squash pie. Took some down to Hortons for their supper. Fern up here. Bill worked on my vacuum cleaner. Got it fixed. Dave Thomas family called this evening. Aunt Ava and Thomases called at Betty and Walt’s also.


No comments:

Post a Comment