The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, October 6, 2018

November 29 - December 2, 1968


Friday, November 29, 1968 Cloudy

Picked up, cleaned up from yesterday. Put dishes away. I made a turkey pie. Billie and I to town. Got a new mop etc. Betty and Walt up to Turner, Maine. I washed kitchen floor. Kids slept in PM. I worked at Dorothy’s.



Saturday, November 30, 1968

I done up work, got the beans in. Got lunch. Billie worked for Lawrence. Carmen sick with asthma. Bill and Walt watched ballgames. Joy and girls over. Betty and Walt called at Lil’s in p.m. Fern up for supper. Betty and Walt over to Aunt Ava’s and up to Joy’s.



Sunday, December 1, 1968 Kim Gone Home

A nice day. Not too warm. Bill and Walt worked on Walt’s car. Betty, kids and I called at Bob’s, down town, got paper. Called on Grammie Briggs. She was glad to see the kids. Came home, got dinner and Carlton, Kennard and Delores called. We had dinner early and they left for Concord about two or bit before. After they left we cleaned up the house, dirt the puppy made on the breezeway. I washed floors etc. Fern, Lloyd called. I love them all and always miss them.




Monday, December 2, 1968 a light snow, mild temp

A cloudy and some rain. Mild. I cleaned up the house in good shape. Washed windows, packed things away. Miss Kim this week. I worry about Carmen.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment