The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, October 16, 2018

January 1 - 4, 1969 A New Year



Wednesday, January 1, 1969

A very bad snow storm all forenoon. It cleared late in p.m., then the wind began to blow harder. The snow drifted. Bill called to work at 4 AM. Worked all day, home for supper and gone back to plow. Billie brought the hamburg home, we wrapped them. Had some for supper, very good. No one here today. I called Dorothea. They had a nice anniversary party last night.



Thursday, January 2, 1969

A nice clear day, but awful cold and windy. Bill came home at about 8 AM and ate breakfast, slept until 11:30. Got up and got back to work. He worked for 28 hours without sleep. The roads drifted in so bad with snow. I took a gift over to Smarts for Holly and husband from Betty and Walt. Also some things for Ilan. Bill home and to bed tonight. Billie’s shoes came.



Friday, January 3, 1969

I done up my work, took a bath. Went to town with Fern and Lloyd. The pens I sent for for Carmen and Jeff came today. In evening Bill and I went to town. I have a cold.



Saturday, January 4, 1969

A beautiful day. Not too cold. I done up my work. Made a carrot cake. Bill and I down to Dorothea’s in p.m. No one home. We met them on the way home. The new paneling in Dorothea’s house looks so nice. Fern here for supper. Billie had to work at Dialectic today taking inventory, etc. I mailed Carmen’s pens to her today. Took Jeff down to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment