The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, October 7, 2018

December 3 - 6, 1968


Tuesday, December 3, 1968 Mild Temp

Cloudy most all day. I did a big wash. Done up housework, shampooed hair and put rinse on. Did some figuring on bills etc. Talked with Betty today. Bill put me up a clothes line down cellar tonight. I brought my clothes in and dried them downstairs. Betty called, Carmen not very good.



Wednesday, December 4, 1968 Permanent

It snowed and rained today. Got two or 3 inches of snow. It rained very hard. I did a big ironing today. I called Betty. Carmen been bad, they took her to the doctor. They got to get rid of the puppy. I got my permanent.



Thursday, December 5, 1968

A cloudy day, some sunshine. I done up my housework, wrote four letters; Jean, Esther, Susan and Dorothea. I wrote out Christmas list etc. Kennard called and paid for flowers.



Friday, December 6, 1968

A pretty nice day, awful windy and cold. I worked at Dorothy’s and came home, finished my work and washed. Went to town after supper. Sal and Gordon called in evening. They have bought a new car. I worked on Christmas orders etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment