The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, October 12, 2018

December 22 - 24, 1968 Christmas Eve


Sunday, December 22, 1968

A cloudy miserable day. I didn’t get up today until 10 AM. It was cloudy. We had a late breakfast and I did up the work. Fern, Lloyd called. Dorothea and family called. I went down to the church with Fern and Lloyd in evening. Keith Bryant called.



Monday, December 23, 1968

A mixed up miserable day. Snow, rain, cloudy. Mild temperatures. I cooked, washed windows, did some other odds and end jobs. Washed, clothes downstairs to dry. In evening Billie took me to town to get some get well cards to send to Alice. We called at Aunt Ava’s. Came home, Billie up to Chet’s. Bill working tonight. Wanda Jean and Lorraine called a minute. Also John Briggs called with some gifts for Carmen and Kim. Betty called on phone today. They are coming tomorrow night.



Tuesday, December 24, 1968

A beautiful day. I did a big days work, the last-minute things getting ready for Christmas. About 4:30 Betty and family came. Carmen was all well. We talked, had a good time. Betty, Walt and Billie over to Aunt Ava’s. Later on we all called at Fern and Lloyd’s. Watched TV about Pueblo  crew being freed and the astronauts.






No comments:

Post a Comment