The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

January 5 - 8, 1969


Sunday, January 5, 1969

A beautiful day. Got up about eight. Got breakfast, done up the work. Bill and Billie talked. Lloyd came, hauled the rubbish off. About 12:30 Bill and I went down to Dorothea’s. Joy and family there. We visited for about two hours. Came home. Billie had gone to Berwick and Kennibunk with Lawrence. We had supper. I called Betty. She has had a miserable day. She is sick with a cold. Kim and Carmen not too good. Walt not good today. A lot of skii doos out today. Fern, Lloyd up in evening.



Monday, January 6, 1969

A nice day except it got cloudy in late p.m. I washed, got the clothes in. I finished drying them on the rack. Helen Smart and Linda called. Billie’s car went pieces tonight. Went to bed early tonight. I mailed a letter to Jean.



Tuesday, January 7, 1969

A very bad snow storm, about 14 to 18 inches of wet heavy snow. The storm ended in a rain and sleet storm. I done up my regular work. I ironed, talked on the phone. After supper I went to town with Bill, paid Joe Hatch from plowing, went to the garage for windshield wipers. I went to drugstore, got hair rinse. Billie took his car to the garage today. He had to ride with Erwin. Bill called to work at 3 AM. My cold seems better this morning. Went to bed early last night.




Wednesday, January 8, 1969

Partly cloudy. I done up my regular work. Done some figuring etc. Billie had to go with Erwin again this morning. Fern, Lloyd called. I made an orange pie.



No comments:

Post a Comment