The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

November 14 - 16, 1968 Uncle Lewis Died, Norma Gay Marries James Knick


Thursday, November 14, 1968 Uncle Lewis Died

Clear, cold and some wind. I washed windows inside and out. I washed and ironed kitchen, bathroom and bedroom curtains. I cleaned my room and cleaned up all the house. Got a phone call tonight about 8:30. Uncle Lewis died suddenly tonight at his home. Fern and I called, Ken, Delores and Dorothy. Esther came to Milan’s tonight by plane (jet) from Ohio to attend the wedding of Norma and Jim.



Friday, November 15, 1968

I worked at Dorothy’s today, went to town, did a lot of odds and end jobs. Made plans and preparations for the funeral. I called over to Aunt Ava’s, Fern is staying with her. Aunt Ava real good. Betty and family came tonight for the funeral.



Saturday, November 16, 1968 Norma Gay Smith James Knick Married, Killed our pigs 215 and 197 lbs.

It cleared off today. I got up early, got my work done. Betty helped me. Carmen some wheezy. I ordered flowers. In late p.m. or evening Esther came. She called in a.m., she was coming to Maine with Betty’s sister and husband. Betty, Joy, Fern and I went to Portland to meet her. In p.m. Bill, Betty, Walt, kids and I went to Dorothea’s. Bill and I into Anderson Little’s and got a new suit for him. Also shoes. Dorothea glad to see us. Carmen over to Joy’s in p.m. Billie worked for Lawrence. Betty and Walt stayed at Aunt Ava’s tonight. Walt with her while we went to Portland. Bill home with the kids. Norma’s wedding. Norma and Jim married today.


Is that Uncle Milan in the background?

The Newlyweds, a massive cake and always impeccably dressed Aunt Betty

No comments:

Post a Comment