The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, October 25, 2018

February 6 - 9, 1969


Thursday, February 6, 1969

15 below early. A beautiful day. I didn’t have to work for Barbara Stanford. Bill brought the car up and Betty, Kim and I went looking for a place for her to live. We picked up Dorothea. We saw some. One brand-new apartment in Raymond village. We had a good time. Fern stayed with Carmen. Came home, had pancakes and sausages for supper. Fern stayed.



Friday, February 7, 1969 $109.45 Bill, $4.50 me

14 below. Very cold this a.m. early. I worked at Dorothy’s, came home. Betty and I ironed. She ironed, I washed, cleaned up the house, talked etc. Betty up to Joy’s tonight with Dorothea. She and I went to the bank before supper. Carmen wheezing after she went to bed. Carmen and Billie played cards this evening. Walt called, he can’t come for Betty tomorrow. Carmen 6 years.



Saturday, February 8, 1969

A nice day, not too cold. We done up the work. Bill home about 11. Betty took me to town shopping. In p.m. we went to town again, called at Joys at Bob’s. Stan Whitney died. Bill and I were going to take Betty and kids home. Carmen wheezing. But Walt came for them after supper.


Sunday, February 9, 1969

Snow began early in the morning, it snowed most of the day, then in middle of p.m. it began to snow harder and also the wind began to blow. Bill called to work at 5 PM. This evening it snowed very hard and the wind blew hurricane force all evening and we went to bed. The snow drifted. I cleaned up the house. I didn’t get up too early. Had a late breakfast.



No comments:

Post a Comment