The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, October 8, 2018

December 7 - 9, 1968


Saturday, December 7, 1968 NEW CHAIR

Cold early 26°. A nice day. I did up my work. Billie worked for Lawrence. Lloyd hauled rubbish off. Bill home about 11 AM, we had lunch and Betty called. She came down to go Christmas shopping. We went to Dorothea’s, she and Jeff went with us. We had a HARD afternoon, cold, stores crowded. We got home very late. Kids real good. Carmen got cold.



Sunday, December 8, 1968

A fair day, on the very cold. Bill and I over to Aunt Ava’s. I rushed around to get my dinner so Betty and kids could get ready to go home early about 1 PM. Dorothea and family came up and were here for dinner. We had a roast pork dinner. Dorothea and I did up the dishes then we called at Aunt Ava’s and came home. Fern and Lloyd here. We had coffee. Then they went home and Dorothea,  David stayed till late in the evening. Carmen had a bad night.



Monday, December 9, 1968

Cold. Awful windy. A very cold and clear day and windy. I worked on Christmas list etc. I talked with Betty. Carmen had doctor when she got home last night and went to the clinic today, very bad. I washed today, made a pie for supper. Only 10 above this morning. Billie and I down town and done some shopping. Bill and I down and got his pills.

No comments:

Post a Comment