The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, November 2, 2017

May 9 - 12, 1965



Sunday, May 9, 1965

HOT – HOT – HOT. A very hot day. Bill painted. Betty over to Bob’s and cleaned. I cooked a turkey dinner. Billie finished working for Lawrence. Fern and Lloyd called. Kennie, Dot. For Mother’s Day I got sweater, glasses and $10. A Mother’s Day call from Dorothea.



Monday, May 10, 1965

A cloudy, dreary, rainy showery day. I washed just the same. Blankets and all. Not much of anything exciting today.



Tuesday, May 11, 1965

Foggy in a.m. , cleared in late a.m. I cleaned my room and washed. Billie and Mike slept all day. At night I got the clothes in, ironed. Billie worked in raspberries. Bill planted.



Wednesday, May 12, 1965 Mowed lawns for first time

The most beautiful day. I cleaned the sitting room, bathroom and little hallway. Had a mess of greens for supper. Betty, Mike and Carmen went for a ride in a.m. Mike came home and mowed lawns. Bill fixed the lawnmower tonight. Billie mowed lawns.

No comments:

Post a Comment