The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

August 24 - 27, 1965 Dennis Arrives To Take Family Home



Tuesday, August 24, 1965 Dennis came

About 4 AM Dennis got here from Michigan. I ironed, made a cake. A very hectic day because of Mike and what he will do. For Carmen’s sake I hope he comes back. She needs him. She is the one to feel sorry for and I do. She is so helpless. She is innocent of everything. Dorothea and Dennis glad to see each other. Jeff is so glad to see his dad. Fern up for a steak supper.



Wednesday, August 25, 1965

Clear in a.m., clouded up late. Dorothea and Dennis didn’t get up till 2 PM. I got all my work done. In mind I may go tomorrow. It is all so doubtful. Betty not at all happy. She has quite a problem to solve. She has been up to the trailer most all day, and down to Fern’s tonight. Dennis showed his pictures night. No word from Mike.



Thursday, August 26, 1965


Billie left this morning for Acton Fair. Dorothea, Dennis, Jeffrey and Susan left this morning. I DID NOT GO. Because of Betty I didn’t go. I will go later. It was hard to see them leave. I have had the happiest and most relaxing summer then I have had in a long time. It was just the best having Dorothea and Jeff here. It’s been six weeks and two days. She helped all summer with all the work. Cloudy all day. Betty so pleased I stayed at home. She needs me. We went to Fryeburg, got lunch. Got TooMeeko home.



Friday, August 27, 1965

A nice day, on the cool side. I done up my work and done some figuring. Mike called last night, is coming back today. Hope and pray everything will come out as for the best. I’m so shook up over it all. Betty is too. Mike didn’t stay, Betty sent him out of her life. Later decided best for her children he come back if everything can be alright. So here is hoping he calls and ready to come back and do right. Betty and I to town.


No comments:

Post a Comment