The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

July 27 - 30, 1965



Tuesday, July 27, 1965

Picked some peas. Es and Fern up in evening. Didn’t do much today. Just puttered around, made preparations to go on the picnic tomorrow.



Wednesday, July 28, 1965

A beautiful day. Fern, Lloyd, Es, Delores, Dorothea, Verna, Betty, Mike, Susan, Billie, Nola Raye, Jeff S., Nona, Jeff A., Cathy, Carmen and I all went on a picnic over to Crooked River on the Norway Road. Had a very good time.



Thursday, July 29, 1965

Dorothea 28 today. Betty, Nola, Dorothea, Jeff and I to town. Betty got Dorothea’s birthday gifts. I made a cake. We had a supper of fried smoked pork chops. Birthday cake and ice cream. Also Fern, Es and Billie came up.



Friday, July 30, 1965



I done up regular work. Cleaned the house all over today. Dorothea away with Barb. Betty, Susan and Carmen up to trailer. Mike worked. To town in evening. Betty took me.


No comments:

Post a Comment