The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

May 5 - 8, 1965



Wednesday, May 5, 1965 Pigs

A nice day, but got a cold wind in p.m. I cleaned Betty’s kitchen, bathroom and living room. Betty took Carmen out and it helped a lot. Carmen had some clothes come from Joy today. Billie had two pigs come tonight. Betty didn’t sleep much today. Mike slept good all day. Rosalie called.





Thursday, May 6, 1965

A very nice day, warmer. Aunt Ava’s birthday. Betty and I called there after supper, they have a new dog, midget collie. A very nice dog. I cleaned the upstairs hall, downstairs hall and Billie’s room. Rosalie and children called. Minnie back in the hospital. Delores called. I churned. Mike up to Chet’s. I churned. Upstairs all clean and one room downstairs.






Friday, May 7, 1965 First Mess of Greens

I did another big wash today. The living room and dining room curtains. I’ve been so busy all day long. Betty and Mike to town, now they are caught up on their bills. They bought me a beautiful sweater for Mother’s Day, drinking glasses and dishtowel. Billie gave me $10. Bill down to Jean’s and did her garden. He took me to town. A partly cloudy day, on the real cold side.



Saturday, May 8, 1965

A busy day. I cleaned up the house. Marguerite Clark called, got some greens. Billie worked for Lawrence. Betty and Mike slept most all day. Out tonight for a short while.

No comments:

Post a Comment